Hello from the battle field otherwise known as my living room.
The latest casualty is our living room drapes.
If you saw the tin can table top cover up post then you know that the big picture window in our living room is one of the favorite locals for both the Cat Monsters and the Dogzilla's. And over the course of the last several months the drapes have taken quite a beating. The Dogzilla's do deserve some credit for a couple of dirty paw prints but most of the credit for the demise of the drapes does have to go to the Cat Monsters.
I did consider replacing the white drapes with some sort of un-snaggable wooden blinds but having had both I didn't really want to go back to the heavy dust collecting blinds. Another option might have been just to replace the drapes as they were not that expensive. The problem with new drapes is that I assume the Cat Monsters, while momentarily bored with the window coverings, will at some point next spring, see them blowing in the breeze of the open window and think "what is the flowy white aberration, I must touch it, grab it, and beat it in to submission." At which point the new drapes would promptly look like the currant snagged ones I already have.
So an experiment was in order. I decided to try to camouflage the snags with some scraps of frayed fabric I had on hand. My hope is that when the cats strike again the new snags will be somewhat camouflaged too.
Here are a few pictures of the process. It was very simple but a little time consuming.
Step 1 - Wash drapes. Yikes they were dirty.
Step 2 - Tear strips of white fabric in to small squares.
Step 3 - Clean up and fray edges of squares.
Step 4 - Pin fabric squares to snagged area of curtain.
Step 5 - Use a large needle and white crochet thread to attach the center of the fabric squares to the curtain.
They are sort of fluffy and ruffled looking now but I think that they make a good contrast to the faux wicker look of the pickle juice chair.